Appalachian Swag

Appalachian Swag
Operation Swag!

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

4/1/2014

3/31/14  --> Hammocked at Campsite 118

4/1/14

That's it. I'm outta here. Only did 5 miles cause I couldn't leave till after 1pm. Got to the last campsite in the Smokies to pitch my hammock for the first time. Halfway through the night the hammock slipped and I found my ass painfully on the ground. I had to reset everything back up cause even the tarp ridgeline slipped lower. Did get it all set up, but in the middle of the night I heard an entire chorus of wolves. Like one would start howling and the entire forest chimed in to make the creepiest howling I've heard so far. Not to mention, first time NOT in a shelter and the farthest camp spot from everyone else. I go back to sleep once it's quiet again and wake up to something walking around. Everyone else was probably asleep and far away in their tents anyway. I swear one or more wolves were circling my tarp set up last night. I also heard it start raining. I woke up to find a mouse hole in my wet food bag.

Apparently they love climbing bear lines, specifically for that reason. I'm done. Most miserable night ever and only 5 miles into the Smokies. Screw this....


APRIL FOOLS!!!!!

Though I DID hear a crazy amount of wolves/owls last night, and it DID rain about 5 minutes, it was really nice.  My hammock worked perfectly (nothing fell down) and everything was dry this morning. Need to learn to tie a better tarp ridgeline. Going 11 miles to a shelter and will remain in shelters till the end of the Smokies. Hobey-Ho let's go!

- Sam


PS: Today feels like true first day of Spring

No comments:

Post a Comment