Appalachian Swag

Appalachian Swag
Operation Swag!

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

4/2/2014

4/2/14                   From Spence Field Shelter

I hiked 13 (ish) to Double Spring Shelter. Reason it's called that is you can get water from a spring in NC or a spring in TN. It was kinda neat. During the day I figured that being only 3 miles from Clingman's Dome, I could wake up super early and hike to watch the sunrise from the highest point on the AT. As I got to the shelter I found the whole group I've been hiking with on and off were there. They left me behind in Fontana when I had to take an extra zero due to the post office not being open till Monday. Funny enough they all were planning the exact same thing. The entire 9 of us were Luna, Lobo, Admiral Caboose and Catnip, Huskers, Tex, Junebug, and Treebeard. All of us got up at 3am to hike in the dark to Clingman's Dome. Sadly as it got lighter out we realized we were in a cloud. No views to speak of, just white swirling fog drifting everywhere. Doesn't matter though, I still was there as the sun rose. Went from there to Gatlinburg because I had run really low on fuel and would have run out of food. Thunderstorms kinda solidified the need of a zero. Onward tomorrow!


-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment