Appalachian Swag

Appalachian Swag
Operation Swag!

Friday, May 23, 2014

B.A.T.H. by Sam

I hike 15 miles, and that's normal for me.
But I'm not crazy, I'm a thru-hiker you see.
I walked for 9 hours across mountains and streams.
Dreaming of nothing but hot Krispy Kremes.
Though now the privy's in use, to the woods I must go.
But I don't want to pee in the fields of snow.
I just want to stay in my warm sleeping bag.
Getting out in the morning is the biggest drag.
Cooking breakfast however, is well worth the cold.
Just don't wake to discover it's all covered in mold.
It will make you mad and tremble and shake.
Not having breakfast is too much to take.
One can't pack down without a belly that's full.
And when your water is topped your ready to pull
yourself up the mountains, down valleys, 'round cliffs.
But make sure to stretch or you'll become stiff.
When you think you are done and at the end
Just stop at the shelter, take a minute to mend
you're aching shoulders and blistered feet
but there are others here that you want to greet.
Someone you've not seen in a week!
You'll want to wave and call out their name
you laugh and catch up and talk of the fame
of walking from Georgia straight up to Main!
But now it's past dark and you're falling asleep.
So into your nice toasty bag you creep.
If you think this is crazy and are having no fun,
Just remember that this is just one
of the days that measure half a year.
But when you're done you'll want to be here.
Back where the trail will stretch for miles.
Bringing you nothing but good times and smiles.

-Sam (A.K.A Magicman)

No comments:

Post a Comment