Appalachian Swag

Appalachian Swag
Operation Swag!

Monday, June 9, 2014

5/21/2014

5/21/14                      Trimpi Shelter



     I lost my journal! :( or at least left it behind, which is the same thing. I know Tex and Husker and all them would have it 'cause I'm sure I left it at their campsite. I was copying down my DnD character in it. Thank goodness I still have the actual sheet.
     Before I get ahead of myself, let's recap. my parents came out to Ohio Thursday (5/15). Friday (5/16) the three of us drove down to Damascus seeing as I left the trail there. Friday also happened to be the start of Trail Days which is a big hiker festival. Tons of thru-hikers (from all years) get together to celebrate the trail. All the big gear vendors set up booths where you can get new gear and get stuff fixed and whatnot. It takes place from mid May every year.  Saturday my parents and I hung around for shenanigans in Damascus. Sunday (5/18) my mom and I slack-packed 18ish miles over Whitetop Mountain with my dad. 5/19 we decided to do a smaller 8 mile section up beyond Mount Rogers. 
     Yesterday (5/20) we finished up with 17ish miles over Mount Rogers and through the Grayson Highlands. Wild ponies run around in that area and is one of the 'trail must sees' in Va. Sure enough we did see ponies. They were super adorable. My parents went back up to Ohio today; first day with a full pack in three weeks. I decided to take it easy only go five miles to here, Trimpi Shelter. Tomorrow is Partnership Shelter, the only one you can order pizza to!

-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment