Appalachian Swag

Appalachian Swag
Operation Swag!

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Day 2; 3/6/2014

Day 2: 3/6/14

I am wearing my smaller gloves so I hope my handwriting is a little better! (Editor: no... it's not... :P) It was supposed to rain all day starting at 8am this morning. I'm SO glad it held off till now (4pm). I would not have been able to finish the day if it did rain. Climbed 2 mountains today. Let me repeat. I CLIMBED TWO MOUNTAINS TODAY. I didn't think that would have been possible before today. If I were to quit now (no intention of doing so), I would say I've accomplished enough. Tomorrow and the next day I think I'm going to let up and make 2 short(-ish) days. It's 15 miles to Neel's Gap, the first resupply, not counting Suches, GA. Between those is a five mile corridor where bear canisters are required. So either 1 unbearable day or 2 shorter days. I'd vote shorter every time. Tomorrow might be the first night in a tent.

Staying at: Gooch Gap Shelter [1 picture]

---------

Addendum Day 2

I forgot to mention a couple of things. I wrote that Journal at 4 and a bit more happened. Earlier yesterday I passed by a big water tank and took a break near it. A group of about 7 army sized trucks drove by The guy in front of the train got out and checked the tank. Later found out Park rangers leave the tank there for hikers and the cadets check it out every day.
Also, couple of people (including me) got trail names. Mine's MatheMagician (or M&M). Hiking now with Rabbit and Grizz. "Rabbit" because he has grandkids at age 33!!! "Grizz" because someone mistook him for a bear one night due to his snoring!
Laying up 5 miles and sleeping in a hostel tonight. Shower's gonna be great.

-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment