Appalachian Swag

Appalachian Swag
Operation Swag!

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Day 4-5

Day 4/5: 3/8/14

Yesterday sucked SO much. Yet at the same time I wouldn't trade it for the world. I passed out about 20 mins after I set up my tent. Finished hiking yesterday @ 7pm. 10 miles up one of the highest mountains in Georgia. Blood mtn; named due to skirmishes between Native American tribes.

Made it to Neel's Gap last night and used my tent for the first time. But I'm getting ahead of myself here. Day 4 started out leaving the hostel. Rode back up the mtn with Fresh Ground who was refilling his water at the store. He was in the middle of making banana pancakes and bacon. It's hard to turn down food when he's practically forcing it down your throat. As I was about to leave *SNAP*. FFFFFFUUUUUUU. My hip strap and clip broke off. For the record your backpack rides your hips, not shoulders. The hip strap is the most important thing if you don't want to hate life and don't want aching, destroyed shoulders. 10 miles before was doable, but now? 40 lbs on just your shoulders is murder. One can't climb the 3 mtns to get to the next stop. Not without repairing it.

Luckily for me a guy by the name of Craftsman hands me a buckle, "yeah I took this off my suitcase cause it seemed like a good idea." I end up using the ends of my straps to tie the makeshift buckle on. I couldn't just sinch (sp?!) to pull it tight. I had to physically tie the buckle on. Seeing as it wasn't made to do that, it kept getting loose every about 20 steps. So every so often I have to stop and untie the buckles. retie them, and continue on. Amazingly every so often I'd round a corner to see Craftsman and Rabbit just chillin on a log with boots off. I felt like a caboose to a tiny train. Later that day after the 2nd or 3rd boots off break.
Another 5 mi and the 4 of us are hollering off the top of Blood Mtn. We totally effing did it. I hope to never see that effing endless mtn again. Down the other side was the welcome sight of Neel's Gap, the first major resupply place. 31 miles from Springer Mtn. Pitched my tent and conked out after eating a snickers bar. Snickers = new favorite candy bar.

----------------------------------------

Day 5 comes around for me later that night. I wake up in the middle of the night to see the entrance flap to my tent 3/4 above my head. I at first wonder why someone put an entrance on the ceiling. Then I hear it. A howling wind that completely filled my ears. I realize that I listened to the store owner where he said "nah, you don't need to stake down; even cowboy camp." (cowboy camp = no tent, just sleeping bag). Screw that guy and screw 60 mph winds.

Honestly, I'm not sure the wind dropped below 20 mph that night. I then realized there was no way I couldn't stake it down. Didn't know if I could even put stakes in. I had nothing to pound  them in if it wasn't the softest mud. The tent ended up flipping like that twice more. The only way I could stop it flipping (eventually) was to pull my pack inside my tent and use it as a weight against the onslaught of wind. My pack started that night between my fly sheet and tent, on the ground. I was so glad I decided to put my flysheet up. Without it I probably would have frozen solid. Woke up and haphazardly packed my tent up. 4 of us (me, rabbit, craftsman, and flipper) decided to take a zero day in Neel's Gap. We split the cost of the cabin; $60 total $15 each. Shower, bed, laundry, bought a new pack since yesterday, I'm ready to hit the trail.

                PS: changing my trail name to MagicMan. Same concept but rolls off the tongue easier, other 3 agreed.

                PPS: dunno how many pictures I've been taking anymore. (Editor: Thanks Sam... That'll make things easier :D)


- Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment